Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Bread Beginning

The longer I have this blog, the more I realize that I have set some narrow sights on what I should blog about. Well no longer!! Music and retail are not the only things that happen in my life. Nor are they the only things I am enthusiastic about.

So.

Last November I became determined to learn how to crochet better. I can now say with pride that I have learned how. I may not be the best crocheter ever, but I have learned the termanology and can successfully get around a hook and yarn. I still crochet things, but I'm getting a little antsy to learn something new. Strange how after I graduated college, I realized how much I didn't know. There are so many other things that I had no idea appealled to me.


So this enthusiasm about bread caught me quite off guard. If you had asked me two months ago if I wanted to start making my own bread, I probably wouldn't have paid much attention.

But things have quite changed. And it all pretty much started when I did my taxes. Much to my relief, my tax return was quite good (at least I got SOMETHING out of my schooling). And so upon receiving said tax return, I immediately purchased two things. One was a 70s vintage road bike in orange. The second, was a Breville stand mixer.

The idea of the stand mixer caught me off guard as well. I've always wanted one, but had read it off as way too expensive. Well, thanks to my employee discount at a kitchen store, it wasn't quite so expensive anymore.

I started my research. I pulled out my Joy of Cooking book to get the basics (I absolutely heart my joy of cooking!). After reading three pages, I realized I was hooked. THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF BREADS!!

I want to make them ALL.

So I joined a website! http://www.thefreshloaf.com/ where there are basic bread making lessons, suggestions, hits, info on different materials and different ingrediants. But above all, I discovered that there was a community out there of bread enthusiasts as well!! Who knew!?? There is even a Bread Baking World Cup!!!!!! I want to go to there!!!

Tonight I shall attempt my first loaf. I'm trying to start slow and not get ahead of myself (which I do wayyy to often). I'm trying to get into my head what each part of the bread does so that maybe one day I can start experimenting and making my own versions! So tonight is a simple white loaf. I'll take a picture and post it when I'm done!

So. Excited.

~B

No comments:

Post a Comment